Jul 2, 2012

I Left My Heart in San Francisco!

And all of our money! Man that place is expensive!!


My first time to Northern Cali and I can't believe how beautiful it was! We left hot, humid MI Thursday morning where it was a high of 95 and showed up to cool, 55 degree San Fran! We definitely didn't pack appropriately but we made it through!

We went with our great friends, Jimmy & Amy Gwizdala, Andrew has been friends with these 2 since middle school and they are perfect travel companions! We started our trip out with all the touristy things to do - ride the trolley, see Fisherman's Wharf (or as Jimmy called it, Fisherman's Dwarf), watch the crazies begging for money on the streets doing their circus acts or breakdancing, checking out Lombard St. and eating delicious seafood!!



And then we moved on to the Napa Valley thing, this was by far the best part of our trip and I wish we would have stayed 2 nights instead of 1! Our first wine tasting was at Duckhorn Winery where a sorority sister of mine works and it was better then I had expected! We were so spoiled there and had such a beautiful setting! The rest of our time in Calistoga was fabulous! A delicious lunch at a local bar, another wine tasting at b cellars (was nice but not as perfect at the first place) and then we checked out a very swanky hotel/restaurant/bar that was recommended, Solage! It was so nice there, very contemporary and they had fabulous, fresh martinis! And a nightclub in our hotel right underneath our rooms! Now, to be fair, we read that the bar could be noisy in the evenings but it was not what we had expected! We made the best of it and enjoyed it like the others!






On our way back to San Fran the next morning we continued the touristy thing but first had to make a stop at a very popular brewery, Russian River and Andrew & Jimmy got their flight of 18 beers. Our next stop was to Muir Woods where we made our way up a super curvy road only to find the only parking, because it was so busy, was miles from the entrance so we made our way back down the mountain, heading back to the city. But not without stopping and getting the best view of the Golden Gate Bridge, it truly is a sight to see!

Part way up to Muir Woods
Andrew's creative photography!
Lombard St.
Sunday turned out to be a fabulous day too! We walked up Lombard St. and making our way down to Fisherman's Wharf hunting for Alcatraz tickets and unfortunately we were unsuccessful! Unless we wanted to spend almost $200/couple to see it. I only had a couple of things I was really excited to do on this trip and this was #1 for me, so I sulked for a bit but we caught a ferry over to Tiburon and enjoyed a beautiful lunch on the water and I was able to see Alcatraz in passing!

Tiburon. The skyline of San Fran behind us













Jimmy & Amy, thanks for a fabulous time last weekend, although it broke our credit card it was worth every cent! Can't wait to start planning our next trip!!

You can find all the pictures I took on my Shutterfly site too!

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about your trip via FB. I can't wait to take a trip there! My favorite picture is the one where you guys are at a restaurant/bar and enjoying drinks at your very own firepit. How fun! Can't wait to visit San Fran.

    ReplyDelete